Pay a deposit, get a receipt, and organise insurance.
Once you’ve found the right car for you and agreed on a price with the seller
Transfer of ownership / post sale
- Pay a deposit to hold the car until final payment can be made.
- Ensure you ask for a receipt with: deposit amount, date, both party’s names and date of final payment and collection date of the car.
- Make sure you insure your car before you drive away.
- After you purchase a car it is your legal responsibility to transfer ownership of the vehicle into your name.
- Contact your local roads authority for more information on how to transfer ownership and stamp duty payment when this is due.