When You Are At The Snow
- Parking- Park only in designated parking areas and follow the directions of parking attendants.
- Don't apply the handbrake - Moisture can freeze cables and brake linings. Instead, chock the wheels, but don't use rocks as they may damage snow clearing machines.
- Leave the car in gear - Leave the car in gear with the front wheels turned away from the slope. Remove wheel chocks from parking area when leaving.
- Clear ice from windows and mirrors - Clear all glass and mirrors of ice before attempting to drive away from snowfields. Carry an ice-scraper to clear the bulk of the snow, ice and frost, and use the vehicle's heater and fan in conjunction with the air conditioner.
- Protect your windscreen wipers - If you're parking for an extended period, lift wipers off your windscreen or place them in a plastic bag so they won't stick to the glass.
- Warm your engine
For further information on Safe driving in the snow visit RMS website: www.rms.nsw.gov.au/geared/your_driving_skills/driving_skills/cool_running.html